Anticipate scenes reminiscent of “March of the Penguins” and BBC’s “Frozen Planet On the Emperor Penguin Expedition to Snow Hill
Quark Expeditions were the first polar cruise company to reach Snow Hill’s Emperor penguin rookery, offering one of the most exclusive wildlife encounters on the planet.
With the Expedition Team’s experience they have had more successful passenger landings on Snow Hill than anyone else.
Why not share in a true polar quest following the legacy and the true spirit of the explorer; embracing the unexpected, and pursuing one of the most jaw-dropping experiences imaginable.
The Ultramarine ship, which is equipped with two twin-engine helicopters, will fly guests to the vicinity of this rarely-visited rookery, whereupon passengers can walk across the thick sea ice to stand within metres of the most coveted penguin species on the planet. Here you are likely to see scenes reminiscent of “March of the Penguins” and BBC’s “Frozen Planet’’: the penguins are often seen tobogganing across the ice towards the sea, alongside more than 4,000 pairs of breeding Emperor penguins with their chicks.
This November 2023, revel in the once-in-a-lifetime wonders of the Weddell Sea, and set foot on the seventh continent’s eastern Peninsula with special guest – none other than astronaut and explorer Dr. Sian Proctor—who is the godmother of the game-changing ship Ultramarine! This special opportunity gives guests the chance to interact throughout the voyage with Dr. Proctor, who is also a highly-respected geoscientist, educator and space artist, whilst she shares the experiences learned exploring the Polar Regions with Quark Expeditions.
Guests will have opportunities of:
• Unique onboard learning activities and creative exercises led by the lifelong educator.
• Informal evening bar talks on art, science, space, and other fascinating topics.
• Presentations detailing Dr. Proctor’s unique experiences exploring space and the Polar Regions.
• Plenty of inspirational moments as Ultramarine navigates toward the rarely-visited colony of 8,000 breeding Emperor penguins at remote Snow Hill.
EXPEDITION IN BRIEF
Embrace the expeditionary spirit on a quest to reach the colony of thousands of pairs of emperor penguins and their chicks
Spend five days in the vicinity of Snow Hill, either on tour to the colony, or immersing yourself in our custom-designed Weddell Sea experiences
Travel aboard our new ship Ultramarine, enjoying the sauna or one of the ship’s many other onboard amenities
Enjoy the intimacy of traveling on a ship with a reduced capacity of 150 guests
Additional staff means there will be one expedition team member for every four guests
Learn from polar experts during our enhanced onboard education program
Enjoy helicopter sightseeing and Zodiac cruising for unique perspectives of the Antarctic Peninsula.
Available Itinerary to Snow Hill
• 24 November 2023
• 14 Days
• FROM Buenos Aires, Argentina (excludes international flights)
• Leadership throughout your voyage by experienced Expedition Leaders, including shore landings and other activities
• All Zodiac transfers and cruising as per the daily program
• All shore landings as per the daily program
• Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping
• All meals, snacks, soft drinks and juices on board throughout your voyage
• Select beer and wine during dinner; and coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
• Formal and informal presentations by the Expedition Team and guest speakers as scheduled
• A photographic journal documenting the expedition
• A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for landings and Zodiac cruising excursions
• An official Quark Expeditions® parka to keep
• Hair dryer and bathrobes in every cabin
• All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
• All luggage handling aboard the ship
• Emergency Evacuation insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $500,000 per person
Flightseeing aboard Ultramarine
When it comes to polar expeditions, you’re only as good as where your ships can take you. Ultramarine is a small polar vessel has icebreakers that can take you to places larger ships can’t navigate. The polar landscapes are spectacular from the sea with the zodiacs enabling you to land in remote locations but they’re even more stunning from the air, whilst seated in one of the two twin-engine helicopters stationed on Ultramarine.
Please ask Wildlife Escapes for more details on availability and prices