November is a time that the hours of daylight are at their longest in the southern hemisphere. In the Falkland Islands you will see the enormous elephant seals, whilst the Southern Right Whales pass the Valdes peninsula, Argentina. Alaska is considered the best place for bald eagles, whilst crocs can be spotted basking in the sun in Kakadu national park, Australia. November is prime time for viewing the Polar bears in Churchill Canada.
The Southern Right Whales pass the Valdes peninsula annually between June and November. Here you will get the opportunity to get close to these magnificent giants, whilst in the Falklands you could experience a little of all four of the seasons in just one day. But November is a great time as the islands are teeming with a massive array of wildlife, from tiny land birds to enormous elephant seals.
It is the heat of the summer in Kakadu, north Australia that is the best time for viewing the crocodiles. There are both saltwater and freshwater crocs that just love to bask in the sun on the riverbanks, which keeps them cool. At this time of year there’s a good chance of seeing freshwater crocs hatching from their eggs.
The majestic bald eagle has to be one of the top of many birders’ lists is to see. Alaska’s Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve is where the bald eagle can take advantage of the spawning salmon, and seeing them soar across the rivers, with a wingspan of nearly two and a half meters, as they hunt for prey, is truly a privilege.
Best November destinations for wildlife watching
- Right Whales pass the Valdes peninsula, Argentina.
- Polar Bear in Churchill, Canada.
- Crocodiles in Kakadu National Park, Australia.
- Bald eagles, Alaska, USA.
- Olive Ridley Turtle, Nicaragua.
- Dancing red-crowned cranes in Hokkaido, Japan.
- Elephant seals in the Falklands.
- Penguins in South Georgia.
- Fruit bats in Kasanka National Park, Zambia.
- Albatross nesting in South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands.
- A spider monkey in Tikal, Guatemala.
- Galápagos (see what is happening month by month on the islands).
- Africa (see what is happening month by month on this continent).