This month get up close and personal with some of the planet’s most incredible wildlife, and some of the giants in the animal kingdom. You can trek for Silverback mountain gorillas in Uganda and Rwanda, or spot the majestic leopards in The Okavango delta, Botswana, Luangwa National Park in Zambia, and the Jaguar in the Pantanal Brazil.
The Pantanal area of wetland, situated on the western edge of Brazil, is excellent for observing animals such Jaguars, caimans, capybaras, anacondas, and flocks of storks and herons in their natural habitats.
Botswana’s dry winter season runs from May to August. In June, the warm sunny days, combined with clear skies, provide an ideal climate to visit the Okavango Delta. The bush is thinner at this time of the year, allowing the game to be seen more clearly. The wildlife here is stunning and you often get great leopard sightings.
Peru is timing with wildlife and boasts more than 1800 species of bird – a real twitchers paradise. Although the whole country offers many fantastic wildlife holiday opportunities, north Peru is home to approx. a quarter of the country’s 100 endemic species. June is a fantastic time to experience the birds in the area before it gets to hot. You could see the curious Andean cock-of-the-rock or the stunning plumage of the marvelous spatuletail.
Best June destinations for wildlife watching
- Leopard, Okavango Delta, Botswana.
- Superlative birds viewing in Peru.
- Orangutans and turtle hatching, Borneo.
- Leopards South Luangwa National Park, Zambia.
- Herds of wildebeest start entering the Masai Mara Reserve, Kenya.
- Mountain gorilla trekking, Uganda and Rwanda.
- Jaguars in the Pantanal, Brazil.
- Peru and its superlative birds.
- Basking sharks in Cornwall, England.
- Galápagos (see what is happening month by month on the islands).
- Africa (see what is happening month by month on this continent).