March brings some amazing animal encounters, it’s great time to see the adorable panda cubs and the spring blossoms in China, and there’s plenty of opportunity to track the Tigers in the Indian national parks. Some of the breath-taking waterfalls in South America are in fall flow, and the rare iridescent quetzal in Costa Rica must not be missed.
One of the best times to visit India and to track, and view, the magnificent Bengal Tigers. It’s an incredible time for the wildlife during the hotter months of March and April, as the water holes dry up and animals congregate at the few that remain.
For three months of the year, off the coast of Western Australia, the opportunity to swim with the mighty whale shark is possible. Attracted by the plankton feast of the March coral blooms, the whale shark returns annually to feed.
During the breeding months of March and April, it is the best time to see the rare resplendent quetzal in Costa Rica. This iridescent bird has been well preserved here, and sightings are common during these months – look out for its green-blue feather tail, and red belly, as it feeds within the trees of the cloud forest.
Best March destinations for wildlife watching
- Panda cubs in China
- Western Australia shark.
- Tigers in India.
- Birds on migration in the straits of Gibraltar.
- Ringed seal, harp seal, and hooded seal Seals in Greenland.
- Resplendent Quetzal, Costa Rica.
- Monarch butterflies Michoacán, Mexico.
- Crabeater seal Wilhelmina Bay, Antarctica.
- Lynx, Swedish Lapland.
- Black panther Karnataka, India.
- Robins in mid- flight, UK.
- Galápagos (see what is happening month by month on the islands).
- Africa (see what is happening month by month on this continent).